Masala Chica has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 2 seconds. If not, visit
http://masalachica.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Are You Listening?


I have a colleague at work, Terry, who likes to start many of his stories with the following quote by former Statesman, Richard McCloskey.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Brilliant.

Terry is a very wise man. When he starts a story or anecdote with this quote, I will usually prepare myself for some great truth and insight. And he is spot on - that quote perfectly offsets whatever point that he is trying to get across.

So I wanted to make sure that I did my part to save (some brain cells) the environment and recycle his wisdom.

I really think that this is a very powerful statement. So, I have been trying to insert it into my own conversations, in the hope that I will come off looking as smart as Terry.

But my husband, John, doesn't seem to particularly like that saying. Granted, I can't get it QUITE right and my delivery is probably a LITTLE rusty.

The first time I tried it, it came out like this:

"I know that you think you know what I freaking said to you but maybe if you would get your head out of your ass and listen to me instead of watching the stupid Cowboys game, you would have heard what I was trying to tell you."

The second time I tried it, it came out like this:

"I think you know that I know that you think everything I say is bullshit, but the thing is, HONEY, you need to know that I realize you were looking at your Fantasy Football scores the whole time I have been talking to you."

The other night it was:

"I know that you believe that watching football will help strengthen our marriage, but I am yelling at you and you had better turn the TV off before I go apes!$%. Realize this, mister."

I am going to have to work on my delivery. I just need to fine tune it a bit.

And by the way Terry, John says "Thanks."

1 comment:

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

so close, and yet so far away!

i love this hilarious post!

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.